Welcome to the Ministry of Information.

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

nothing but flowers

David Byrne is featured in a short bicycling video at the New York Times's website. It's always comforting, although not necessary, when one's favourite artists share one's politics. I am proud to say that I have never operated a motor vehicle in my life, and I intend to keep it that way, even in Tampa where I am teaching this year. I'm also proud to have voted for more bike lanes (in surprisingly close votes) when I served on Community Board 6 in Brooklyn.

My students here in Tampa have noticed me biking around campus. Let's hope that some of them get the message and say no to the madness of enclosing themselves in those poison-emitting, muscle-wasting, anti-social pods known as cars. Better yet, let's hope that those of them staying in Tampa longer than I am will organize to demand more bicycle infrastructure from local government. The future is in their hands, or, in this case, their feet.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We have seen you and actions speak louder than words. I for one am going to make a conscious effort to bike a bit more or even better WALK.

5:26 PM, January 20, 2010

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home